Monday, June 13, 2011

worst run ever and worst snack attack ever

Ugh, today was the worst run ever! I mean I don't want to quit running or anything, but I was surprised at how exhausted I felt after just a few minutes of running. I had to take sooo many walking breaks.


I think part of the problem was these horrible gummy snacks I tested out. PowerBar Energy Blasts gel filled chews.  I tested one chew out on Saturday after my group run and though I thought they were a little chewy for running, I took a free pack anyway. This morning, I put a couple in a baggie in my water bottle holder and headed out. I wasn't too far into my run when I decided my energy was seriously slacking and needed one. Mistake. It was soo chewy. I mean they are like seriously chewy, like gummy worms. I don't know about you but when I am hot and sweaty, I don't want to spend 3 minutes chewing something and then spend another 5 minutes drinking water to get all the little pieces out. I'll just stick to my shot bloks thanks (even though I've only had them once. I threw the rest in some random neighbor's trashcan and threw the rest away when I got back. Gross!


Even though I had a delish smoothie for breakfast, I decided I also wanted to try one of these Vita sandwiches I bought at Target on saturday. Another mistake. I mean it tasted great, I topped mine with a little cream cheese and raspberry jam, but it made me soo full! I would have to substitute it for my smoothie in the future, which will probably never happen. My day feels so off if I don't have a smoothie, like I'm missing something. 




Lunch was a salad with veggies and a morningstar turk'y burger. I wish I had two burgers on there, it was yum! 



PB and apples is my second fave snack (behind pretzels and hummus). 


For dinner, I made lentil tacos! They were sooo good! Even better than I thought they'd be! The "recipe" is from Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook.  Basically you cook some lentils and roughly chopped onions until tender (the older the lentils, the harder they get and the longer you need to cook them). Then drain and throw about half of them (and all onion chunks) into a food processor with EVOO, a little tomato paste and some seasoning. Process until you like it and them mix back in the rest of the lentils and smear on corn tortillas. Top with lettuce, avocado and fresh pico. Super easy! I also made some homemade mexican rice. I pretty much used this recipe, but didn't saute the dry rice first and used brown rice instead. It made a ton though and we'll be eating more mex rice tomorrow. 


Yes Tinker, please rub your black fur all over my shorts and sports bra and purse! 



Snack Attack
This afternoon/evening was pretty rough for me, snack wise. Let me show you my food journal and you can see what I mean...

B: smoothie, Vita egg and english muffin sandwich
S: coffee with coffeemate, powerbar
L: salad with veggie burger and dressing, grapes, carrots, WW snack bar
S: apple with PB, iron girl cocoa bar

then I got home from work and had 
diet coke 
6 ritz with laughing cow cheese
a frozen waffle with PB and nutella
2 smoothie cookies

D: 2 lentil tacos and mexican rice 

The tough part is that I know exactly what happened. I just plain need to eat dinner at like 5pm. I am always hungry when I get home from work and can't wait until 7 to  eat (which is what happened tonight). The mexican rice I made, though delicious took FOREVER to cook. Way more than normal brown rice. I think this was because it did not have enough cooking liquid. Anyway, about 10 minutes before it was done, I realized I wasn't even hungry anymore because of all the snacks I had. I just went way over my points plus values for the day (-22!!!) and feel weird about it. I'm not mad at myself, I just wish I had made smarter choices. It's weird how whenever I try to make super healthy choices, it almost backfires because by the end of the day I am craving more carbs and sugar and fat, but if I just eat healthy and not super duper healthy, then I eat more carbs and sugar and fat that day so I don't go overboard later. 

At least I have this puppy pile to make me feel better while I blog about a rough day food/running wise! There are 3 dogs there if you can't tell. And a cat on the pillow next to me. 





Does anyone else ever get "snack attacks" where you eat tons of snack food at once? 


2 comments:

  1. I felt like this today too! I did okay on my run-- but it was tough with the heat and wind! Plus- had some serious munchies today, PB and apples were one of my go-to's today also. I totally feel your pain some days, but as long as it is not everyday- let's not beat ourselves up over it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle! Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that "bad" days happen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...