Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Team in Training

For a long time now I have wanted to run a marathon. It's something that's been on my bucket list literally since high school but I have never really taken any steps towards that goal. Last year I ran my first 5K and it felt great. The trouble is that I have a difficult time pushing myself when things get rough. I get tired and want to stop. So I do. 

I randomly heard of Team in Training through a flyer in the mail and have always had a slight interest in it. Tonight I went to an info meeting! Exciting but scary are two words I feel for the program after the meeting. The bottom line is that they only train for a couple events each season and the only two half-marathons are the Denver Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. Super cool right? Well, the fundraising minimums are $2,900 for Denver and $3,200 for San Fran. Granted  part of the money you fundraise goes toward your travel expenses so you literally pay nothing out of pocket for the event, but that is still a lot of money to raise! On the one hand, I just don't feel like I know that many people in general to raise that kind of cash. But on the other hand, you don't have fully commit (i.e. put a credit card on file so after the event you pay the difference between what you should have raised and what you actually raised) until 10 weeks before the event. 

Part of me says to just forget it. Train on my own (or maybe through the running store in Tulsa) for the Route 66 half marathon. But the other half of me says I have nothing to lose for registering (besides the $25 sign up fee). If it gets close to time and I am no where near my fundraising goal, I can always just drop out of the program...tough decisions....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...