Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Flavors of Fall: Vegan Pumpkin Cookies!

I love the flavors of fall. Actually I love fall in general. It wasn't until this current fall that I realized it. Since I am not a fan of bittery cold weather, I never considered myself a lover of fall, but I got to thinking about it and realized how much I love everything else about this time of year. I love the gorgeous tree colors and the ability to wear my fleece jacket and a cute scarf and my fur boots. I love decorating for holidays and fall is the beginning of the season of the best holidays! I love college football and the excitement that goes along with it. A couple weeks ago, I stopped at starbucks and got my first pumpkin spice latte and fell in love. Autumn in a trendy cup! I bought all the ingredients to make my own pumpkin spice lattes (at $5 a pop, they aren't cheap!) including a coffee maker. I have been having one almost every morning, though that is for another post. Any way, I used canned pumpkin in them but I don't used a whole can of pumpkin in a week so I was looking for something else to do with it and pumpkin cookies came to mind! Since I don't eat eggs or even keep them around, vegan cookies it is! I wanted a recipe with lots of whole grains (since I have been eating too much junk lately) and this recipe looked delish! Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from postpunkkitchen. I halved the recipe and it still made a TON of cookies, more than a sheet full. Next time, I'd quarter the recipe. I really like baking so I'd rather make a small batch of cookies more frequently than a large batch less often. Plus it prevents me from super-super pigging.

Here the recipe halved with my own variations

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2c. + a 1/3c. filled halfway of rolled oats (I think technically 2 and 2/3 T)
1/2t. baking soda
3/8t. salt
1/2t. cinnamon
1/4t. nutmeg (which I didn't have, so I subbed some ground ginger and ground cloves. I should have just stubbed pumpkin pie spice for the cinn + nutmeg)
1/2 + 1/3c. sugar
1/3c. canola oil
1T molasses (I used a heaping T of maple sugar)
1/2c. canned pumpkin.
1/2t. vanilla
optional: 1T flaxmeal (I forgot to add it)
1/2c. chopped walnuts
1/4c. raisins

I am totally lazy and just dump it all in a bowl at once and stir it up. I used a cookie scoop and 2 baking sheets baked 1 and a time and they turned out great! They taste semi healthy too! I don't feel like I am just eating white fluff when I eat them. Since I used Newman's Own Organiz raisins (which are super sweet on their own), I think it would be possible to cut out a bunch of the sugar and the recipe would still turn out great!

You're supposed to squish them down a bit with a fork (like PB cookies) before making them. I totally didn't so I have round cookie balls!




YUMYUMYUMYUMYUM!

1 comment:

  1. this looks/sounds delicious - I think i'll make a batch soon! :)

    PS love the fall background!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...