Thursday, October 21, 2010

Flavors of Fall: Pumpkin Spice Latte


What an exciting Thursday evening of Grey's, pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin spice cookies!!

In the middle of class a couple weeks ago, I got an amazing epiphany. I could make my own pumpkin spice lattes!!! I searched around online and found tons of recipes, though all basically the same. Here is the one I've been using. I had to buy practically all of the ingredients but it's been well worth it! Such a delicious start to the morning! Plus I think I finally feel the effects of caffeine! For most of my life caffeine never really had an effect on me. I never woke me up and I could have it right before bed and it didn't keep me awake. Perhaps it is a mental thing, but these pumpkin spice lattes are a good morning picker-upper! Here is my recipe:

1c. Soy milk. (you can used almond, but I think soy taste better)
1 regular spoon scoop of canned pumpkin, amount totally depends on how much you like pumpkin.
1T sugar
1T vanilla coffee syrup (I found it at target)

Mix together and microwave for a minute or two until steaming. Then add

1/4t. pumpkin pie spice
1/4c. coffee (you're supposed to use "strong" coffee since it's subbing for espresso, but I don't)

Super quick and easy! I bought a little electric milk frother for $10 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I used it before I add the coffee so my drink looks even more authentic. Plus the foam helps to keep the drink hot for a longer period of time. I don't add whipped cream, though that would make it extra fancy and maybe make it taste even better. I also bought a caramel coffee syrup at Target and sometimes add a dash of that too.

The recipe says you can used bottled Pumpkin Spice Syrup instead of canned pumpkin and spices. I immediately searched online and found it multiple places and the bottle is only $7-8!! BUT shipping is $10. No thanks! Maybe when I feel like I have extra money lying around? Too bad you can't get the syrup at Starbucks; I wonder what they actually used in the lattes at the store? Anyway, I found a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Syrup and made some and I would say it was quite successful! Basically water, sugar, pumpkin and spices, simmered on the stove until maple-syrup thick. It saves SECONDS off my latte making since I no longer have to add sugar or spices (I still add extra pumpkin). You can also add it to other drinks, esp Chai tea. What a novel idea! I keep meaning to make a Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte but I keep forgetting!



Maybe this weekend I will go study at Starbucks and let them make a pumpkin spice latte for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...