Saturday, August 29, 2009

so why do you want to be a doctor?

I think maybe I am almost done with my personal statement? Even after I can come up with some super awsome edits and a conclusion that isnt quite so blunt, I have to wait for reviews from physicians and faculty. Well I guess I dont really have to, but since I will be spending like thousands of dollars on med school applications, I need to make sure everything is rockin'. Here is what I have so far:


As I stand in the tunnel packed shoulder-to-shoulder with uniformed band members, the drumline's cadence mixes with the energy of the stadium and pulses through my veins. I am stoned, intoxicated, whatever slang you want to use, not with substance but with life. As the fourth repeat of the cadence begins, the band explodes out of the 2 northern tunnels and in synchronized chaos we charge toward our spots. As I run, my vision seems to be in a surreal slow motion. There is no high quite like the one that occurs when beginning OU's Pregame show and although it's been two years since I have gotten to perform as a band member, I can feel the energy as if I was in the stadium right this minute. I felt a similar feeling watching an aortic valve replacement and know that saving a life as a physician is something that can compete with the high of Owen Field.

My journey to a career in medicine began with my parents; my mother is a radiologic technologist and my father is a registered nurse. My mother helped to develop my interest in health care having worked in medical clinics for my entire life. Her hard work has allowed her to take her associates degree and become Director of Operations at an orthopedic practice with 17 physicians. I have seen first hand the long hours put in by private practice physicians and the hard work put in by the rest of the staff to allow for a smooth doctors visit for the patient. My dad helped to develop my interest in science and the human body and went to nursing school when I was in elementary school. One of my favorite things was to look through his human anatomy book, though this was a special treat because textbooks are so expensive! He also bought me a child's microscope and even looking at fleas and dog hair was fun for me.

My major in Biomedical Sciences was an easy choice. It allowed me time to complete all of my premed prerequisites while still allowing me time to participate in my favorite extracurricular, band. Although my time management skills were not conducive to academic success while performing with The Pride, my experiences with the organization have made me who I am today and I would not trade a single one to increase my GPA.

Although my pre-med journey has been longer than that of a traditional student, these extra years have allowed me to deeply analyze and then strengthen my desire for a career in medicine. My job as a certified nurse aide has given me an “inside-view” of hospital life as well as further given me the ability to emphasize with the patients. Although it is not the most glamorous job, every shift I am able to touch lives while making the nurses’ lives easier and offering a helping hand and friendly face to the patients. My inability to offer true medical care to these patients makes me crave a medical degree. I have begun to develop my patient to care-provider communication skills while learning about the importance of gaining the trust of the patient. Nothing is more humbling than being with a patient and knowing that they trust you with their body physically, mentally and emotionally.

While gaining a deeper understanding of the clinical aspects of medicine, I also wanted to deepen my understanding of the science behind medicine and enrolled in a biotechnology certification program at Tulsa Community College. I excelled in the introductory lab technique classes and because of this was able to participate in an INBRE summer research program. My time in the Pediatric Rheumatology lab really opened my eyes to research and the behind the scenes aspect of medicine. Mondays were spent in the clinic seeing patients and my love of the patient interaction helped me to cement my decision for a career as a clinical physician where I can use my scientific knowledge in a compassionate context.

I know that all of my experience have contributed to my well rounded personality and I am confident in my decision for my future career. Just as my memories from Pride are forever a part of my heart, my calling as a physician is forever part of my soul.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I like how you will not only understand your job but the jobs of others in whatever setting you will be in. You won't take your nurses, nurse aids, PAs, or any other needed job for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...